Changing Table Pad Cover

I have committed myself to trying my best to complete at least 2 projects a week. Sounds like nothing, but with 13 month old and working full time I think it’s an admirable goal. I’ve kept up for the past few weeks (which is when I decided I was going to do this). This week I have 3 projects brewing, all of which I started yesterday. My husband and I have been working on the baby’s room for quite some time now, but it’s still not finished. Yesterday I was trying to figure out what projects to do this week so I walked into the nursery for some inspiration. And that’s when I saw it . . . the bare naked changing pad! Actually the first thing I noticed was the green fitted mattress sheet which completely throws off the nautical color scheme we have going on, but I only have fabric in one yard cuts to work with right now so that project will have to wait. Anyway, I decided to cover that changing pad right up, but how? I searched every blog and site I could find and not impressed by any of the ones I found I eventually just decided I would make my own version. Now don’t get me wrong, my version is not by any means impressive, but it’s quick, easy, and gets the job done.

Since our changing pad is not one of the standard pads I just decided to wrap it in the fabric I wanted to use (to match the fabric wall art I made for little bit’s nursery) and get a rough measurement that way. Then snip, snip, snip. Sorry no pic.

Since I only used one piece of fabric and folded it to cover both sides, I only had to sew up the bottom and one side (with right sides facing of course). No pic, but you get the idea.

Essentially what I was going for was a pillow case to slip on and off. If you’ve got some pillow cases you need to repurpose, this would be a great project for them.

Before doing anything else I put it on the changing pad to make sure it was a right fit and it was!

I folded one side over (as in the picture above) and cut straight across, using the edge of the changing pad as a guide.

Then I folded the leftover flap about 1/8 inch, then again about 1/2 inch, ironed down and sewed with about 1/4 seam allowance.

Last, I added some no sew velcro to the back and flap, which wasn’t as convenient as it seems. Sorry I don’t have a picture of this either. I was a bit lazy with the camera on this project.

We have a strap that comes up through the middle, but I never leave little bit up there alone anyway so I didn’t bother making an opening in the cover.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s