So if you’ve been following my blog you know I’ve been working on my son’s nursery. We’re trying for airplanes and sailboats. So far we’re mostly sailboats. I’ve been wanting some fitted sheets to match the overall blue theme, but something a little more than plain, but less than picture print. I found some fabric at Wal-Mart for $3 for 2 yards. I got a few different prints. I’ve only made this one so far . . .
Fabric 44-45″ x 68-70″
4 – 12″ pieces of 1/8″ or 3/8″ elastic
1. Serge or zig-zag stich the edges of the fabric.
2. Cut 7-8″ x 7-8″ squares from each of the 4 corners of your fabric as shown here.
3. Pin cut edges together with right sides facing and sew. Repeat for the 4 other sides.
4. Take one piece of elastic and fold in the middle, match this up with the seam you just made in Step 3 and pin in place.
5. Mark about 11-12″ to the left and right of that middle point and pin the ends of the elastic to those marks.
6. Using a zig-zag stitch place your starting end under the needle & lower the pressure foot, you want to make a few stitches & back stitch or two to make sure it is secured. Grab the next pin & stretch it so the fabric is tight. Make sure to hold both the back & front of the fabric as you pull it through to sew. Do this to all 4 corners.